My first computer was the computer I purchased for college when I graduated from high school in 2002. I purchased a Dell Desktop for about $1200. The computer had 40 gb of storage, CD drive, CD-RW drive, and a floppy disk drive. The computer worked well for me for about 3 years. I found that it was somewhat prone to viruses though. I mainly used the computer for music, pictures, word processing, research, and internet exploring. Since I started using computers at such a young age, I was amazed at all of the things a computer COULD do. I wouldn't have been able to become so interested in music or organized without a computer.
The first computer I remember using was in second grade. I believe the computer was an Apple 2E. I remember using the computer to play Oregon Trail, educational games, and learning to type. I remember absolutely loving the games, especially Oregon Trail. I will admit to my nerdiness here when I say that I really enjoyed the typing programs too. I remember using Mavis Beacon typing on my family's home computer.
The first computer in my family's home was a hodge podge compilation that my Dad had purchased from a second hand computer store. As the eldest child, I was able to use the computer most. I used the computer for internet exploring, email, AOL Instant Messanger, and word processing. I remember first using the internet and the thrill of find websites for just about anything and everything I was interested in. I think I can still remember the sound of the dial up connection when it would connect. I cannot even imagine using a dial up connection anymore.
These days I use 4 computer regularly. The first computer I use in the morning is my iPhone. I use it as an alarm clock, I read the NY Times and look over my schedule for the day while I eat my breakfast, then I plug my iPhone into my car jack to listen to music and podcasts on the way to work, and then of course I use the iPhone for phone calls and many other applications throughout the day. At school I use a relatively old IBM computer to take attendance. I use a MacBook Pro from the district for teaching. The last computer I use is my personal MacBook. I use my computer today for just about every aspect of my life.
Sunday, March 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I forgot about Oregon Trail. I LOVED that game in fourth grade!! And, the story of your first computer reminded me of the laptop I shelled out $1400 for before I left for Germany in 1999. It sounds as though you are a very connected person!!
ReplyDeleteDo you like your iPhone? I have a friend who loves his!