This week I reflected on what it would it would be like to use a computer that did not use a desktop, just an internet browser. First, I will discuss some of the benefits of using a computer like this. I would imagine a computer that did not have all of the standard programs and applications would be much less expensive to purchase. If the computers were less expensive they could be made available to more people. The first people I think of are my students. I get very excited thinking of the endless possibilities of my students having a basic laptop with a browser. I also think that a computer like this would be prone to less issues. I think that most people could survive, especially with programs like Google Docs. I informally surveyed some of my co-workers and most agreed that they use their computer for the following functions, internet, word processing, and photos. All of these programs can be web based. A lot of people mentioned bill paying. Personally, I use a postage stamp maybe once a month for a bill that I have been unable to set up online. I think the potential for a computer like this is great.
There are a few draw backs to a computer without a desktop. There are a few programs that I would have a really hard time sacrificing. I upload some of my pictures to the internet but I like using iPhoto to store and organize my pictures. Being a music maniac, podcast listener, and an iPhone user, I would have a hard time surviving without iTunes. I also really like to use Skype to keep in touch with family and friends. However, I could see a future of web based versions of these programs. Who knows, there are probably great web based versions of these programs already and I just don't know about them.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think the hardest part about all of this is staying on top of all the innovations that are out there. Programs are continually popping up and through courses and contacts like we have established, we should be able to share ideas that are changing the education scene.
ReplyDeleteOf course skype is web based. But imagine how cool web based itunes would be. I wouldn't have to backup my music every few days and store the backup drive in the back of my underwear drawer.
ReplyDeleteI always thought that I would survive but now that you mention iTunes and Skype I am not sure sure. However I am sure that someone is working on an online version of all of these desktop favorites as we speak.
ReplyDelete