Sunday, March 15, 2009

Creativity killers

This week I was greatly impacted by the video we watched about schools killing creativity. In fact, I sent the video to a world language mentor of mine who has been a teacher, principal, district supervisor, and now is an educational consultant. We both agreed that many things need to change in education and that there are many teachers who would agree with the changes needed. However, for every teacher willing to change, there is always one who sees teaching as just a job and refuses to accept that our teaching and schools need to change as our students change. I am challenged about how schools can move forward with the great amount of resistance faced by teachers and administrators who think that schools can continue the same practices that were used fifty or even five years ago. I can try to be an agent of change but I wonder if that will be enough.

My studies in our program have greatly impacted my teaching. I have tried so many new things in my teaching this year. I have also been able to share a lot of what I have learned with other teachers and administrators at my school and within my district. I wish I was able to use software programs with my students more. It is slightly frustrating to learn about all of these great new programs but I never get the chance to let my class play with different tools I find. They usually just have to watch me because we only have one class in my computer. Our "computer lab" at school has 15 functional computers that are always being used by students doing course recovery with the AVID program. It's frustrating but I also have to remember to use the resources I have and do the best with that. Many of my students do experiment with different programs I show them at home. I hope in the future I will have the opportunity to get a few computers in my class or have a computer lab to use with my students.

2 comments:

  1. I think as long as there are those of us out there willing to be agents of change that the change will occur - however, it may be to slow to notice and may not keep up with the students needs. I think that's one of the ugly realities we all face. I guess one thing I try to think of is to be that agent of change within my classes and hope that the spirit sort of catches on. I think that all teachers (even the "sticks in the mud") have special talents and connections with kids even though their methods may be archaic. So even though you are only one agent of change right now, you might be the spark that gets others going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been mulling the idea that schools are like the newspapers - some are failing and some are reinventing themselves to ensure as things change they are relevant. It's a great time to be in education

    ReplyDelete