Thursday, April 22, 2010
555 Post 3
I finally feel like I have some direction with my portfolio. I chose standards this week and I was able to find some artifacts that I felt fit very well with the NETS Standards. Thank goodness for this blog, it is really helping me remember details about what I was learning and thinking about during each course taken during our program. It's hard to believe how much we have accomplished during the past 14 months and I know most of the people in our program are balancing our classwork with full time teaching jobs and families. I am also working on refining my proposal but I am focused on a project that will help the other teachers in my building become more proficient and comfortable implementing technology int their classrooms. At first I was thinking of a student focused project but for the past two years my students have been telling me how they wish the other teachers would use technology like I use with the students in my Spanish class. I did a program at in-service before this school year but most of the teachers on my staff expressed an interest in more professional development and one on one lessons. I won't reveal my entire proposal here but I am excited because I feel like my project can benefit both students and teachers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Melissa - First, Happy Bday! I don't know why I know that except that Skype sent me a message to that effect. Bit creepy, I know.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm very excited for your proposal, and I think it's a great idea. And now that I've read your thoughts about moving from a student-oriented to a teacher-oriented proposal has me regretting mine a bit. I, too, have been really pushing to try new things with my students, and my bigger frustration has been with the tugging I've had to do with my co-workers to get them to try new things with technology. The good news is that they're starting to come along now that they've witnessed some of the more ambitious teachers utilizing tools like Smart Boards. So perhaps focusing my energies on a plan for them would have been a great idea as well. At our last in-service Friday, I introduced them all to Gmail and Google Docs, and they were very excited. I'm now thinking of switching us entirely to Google Apps, so I easily could have mapped this out for my proposal. I'm hoping when all is said and done that those of us willing to share our projects will. They could be extremely helpful.
Kara and Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI think the beauty of our final projects is that with the technology we'll be able to share the projects we complete. Kara, I know that Erika's project is focused on Google Apps so maybe she'll share her final product or at least her plan for it. And Melissa, my project is based on getting teachers more comfortable with the tools out there so that they may help students utilize them for portfolios, but your project sounds great at getting teachers on board with technology in the classroom. I've heard so many times that we as teachers sometimes think that a ppt presentation is "using" technology and I'd love to see your finished project and be able to share that with my staff as well to show them what true technology integration can look like.