I lead at my school and school district in a few different areas. In my school district I am one of a small group of teachers who have written our Level I and II Spanish curriculum as well as the end of course assessments. I also lead my area PLC. Each month the world language teachers from the Northwest portion of our district (about 20 teachers) come together to discuss and learn more about various topics in World Language. The group also become somewhat of a support group during the year. It was great to see professional relationship evolve and watch teachers learn, share, and grow. I also have spent the last two summers as one of two representatives for our state in SILL (The Southern Initiative for Language Leadership). I completed an action research study the first year and last summer I developed a leadership plan that I fulfilled through leading the district PLC this year.
In my own school I lead in the area of technology and community planning. I presented information about implementing different Web 2.0 tools into the classroom during our summer inservice and I try to lead by example by using a wide variety of technology tools in my own classroom. In the area of community I lead by participating in our discipline committee and creating a community of respect in my classroom and wing of the school. Many teachers shut their doors during passing time but the teachers in my wing and I try to always be actively present and keep our wing respectful and peaceful. Some may think this is a small, meaningless thing but I believe it really sets the tone for students transitioning to different classes.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Mellisa, sounds like you have a lot on your plate. You are involved in many important activities. I don't know how you do it. I'm sure you are super organized. You also sound real motivated to help kids.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great model of leadership you are, Melissa. What I like most is your sense of stepping up, even though the temptation is to "close" the door and seek quiet. Lord knows, with a little baby, you deserve some quiet time. That's what I'm trying to figure out already in this class; how we can still be leaders in our schools without completely burning ourselves out? I have to admit that there are many times, especially this time of year, when I feel completely drained and crabby because of all those leadership roles I play. I'm thinking the key is to pick and choose the ones that are most important to us. Do you think you'll still be able to keep up with everything down the road?
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteI would be curious to hear more about your PLC experiences. My district is in year two of PLC's, and in theory they have been successful. As with any endeavor, the success of the group hinges on the willingness of participants to work together. For us, that willingness runs hot and cold. As the leader of my group, I try to make PLC time meaningful, but I often find that some members will not take a vested interest in the group.
I think that you lead by example is crucial for others to see. Schools often have the "window dressing" of doing all these great things, but the reality often falls short of what is portrayed. With that said, the fact that you actively demonstrate the skills that you have taught to the faculty shows that you truly believe in the power of technology. You are laying the foundation for others to follow, and you should be commended for you active role in the process. :)