Thursday, March 25, 2010
555 Week 1
This week I spent most of my time reviewing different educational portfolios of other teachers. I came across a wide variety of portfolios both in design and in quality. I was also able to see many portfolios presented in a wide variety of formats. I have a much better idea of what I would like to see my portfolio look like but I have to be honest and say that I am intimidated by the road ahead of me and the work it will take to achieve a quality portfolio that meets my expectations. Like many others in our class I am also a little concerned about which artifacts I can use and how I will be able to "post" certain artifacts online. Before I graduated from UW-La Crosse we had to complete an educational portfolio using Microsoft Access. Unfortunately, all of our portfolios were required to be saved on the school server and they were promptly deleted when we graduated. I wish I could go back and see the original e-portfolio I had to get some more ideas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Oh, Melissa, I feel your pain about your portfolio being deleted from the server. I'm in a different situation in that I have no saved records from my days teaching. I'm too old, so now I'm finding that I have to chase down projects I've done the last five years. I, too, find the task daunting. I feel like I'm wading through a ton of material, searching for the one diamond in the ruff. And like you, I know what I want the portfolio to look like, but right now it feels like a huge undertaking and that I need more than a few weeks to complete it. I guess it's not so much the collecting as it is coming up with all the proper wording and to describe how I've met the standards and even what my philosophy is. Heck! On some days my teaching philosophy is to get them kids out of my classroom ASAP, LOL. That's what I find most daunting. I guess the key is to start small and concentrate on small sections. Right now I'm meandering through all the sections and feeling lost.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering if some teachers had e-portfolios as part of their undergrad requirements. It's a shame that they were deleted without allowing you to go in and transfer or save them somehow. I was slightly concerned with that same issue as we are making these in GoogleSites linked to our Wolfmail accounts. However, I realized that in Google, we can add collaborators so I plan on adding my personal Google account. That way after the program is finished and Wolfmail "expires" for me, I'll still be able to get into and edit the portfolio.
ReplyDeleteNot only do I feel your pain but I find it hard to believe that an institution could think so little of what they asked you to do that they trashed it.
ReplyDelete