If my personal computer failed, I would lose a lot. I unfortunately had this happen to me about a year and a half ago. I remember taking my MacBook into the Apple Store and I heard the phrase I will never forget, "There are two types of hard drives, a broken one and one that is about to break". I had never backed up many things so I lost thousands of pictures, thousands of songs and albums I had purchased on iTunes, and a lot of school presentation and documents. The pictures and music were the most difficult things to lose. I lost some of our wedding pictures, all of our honeymoon trip pictures, and thousand of pictures from when I lived in Spain and traveled around Europe. It was a tough pill to swallow but I learned a lot. My MacBook was fixed and the first thing I bought was an external hard drive. I now back up my computer at least once a week, sometimes more if I have recentely added a lot of music, pictures, or other information that I want to hang on to. One of my goals for the summer is to find a reputable photo website so I can upload all of my pictures. I already back them up to the external hard drive but just in case there is a failure on that end, I want to make sure my pictures are protected.
If my computer were to fail again, I am pleased to say that I would be ok. I would be able to use my work computer until things were repaired. Almost everything I could lose would be backed up, or saved online. Since starting this graduate program I have started saving a lot of things to my Google Docs account. Almost all of my work for our program is saved online. I have also convinced the World Languages Department in my district to share things using Google Docs. Our district also uses an online system called Learning Village for lesson plans, curriculum maps, etc. All of my work documents are backed up in about 3 different places. I don't forsee Google going under anytime soon so I think it is a very reliable place to save documents. So despite a future breakdown being somewhat annoying because I would have to have the computer repaired, I am happy to announce that this time around I would be ok.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow. Learning vicariously is sometimes the best way to learn. (Knock on wood...) I'm really being sold on the online storage, too, the more I think about it.
ReplyDeleteWow, the loss of pictures sure is the hardest to handle - that would be the toughest for me to deal with as well. Glad to see that you're prepared now - I have also done much to improve the integrity of my files with online storage, but need to make backing up a regular process like you have.
ReplyDeleteWhen mine failed I lost a week. Nothing I could do. My wife had not backed up our taxes and had to start again from scratch.
ReplyDelete