Saturday, December 5, 2009

540 Week 1

I have to admit that I was somewhat nervous and scared about taking a stats course. I actually do enjoy math when I understand it well enough but unfortunately I never felt that love for my Stats course in college. However, from looking at the class syllabus and viewing our first class I think that I will be able to manage this type of statistics and I am going to give stats a second chance :) I think this course will be very beneficial as well because like many of you, I work for a data driven district that loves to use statistics to gain grants and funding. I hope that I can learn to use statistics to gain more support for world languages in my district and in my state.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I think this class will offer a different type of challenge than other classes thus far. I agree that although a statistics course by definition, and area that I am sure to prove myself inept, it will reveal itself to be user friendly. To understand some of the basics of statistical data and how to use this data to improve classroom instruction will be a great benefit for everyone, regardless of background experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa and Ryan, this course will not try to do any high powered statistics. We will barely scratch the surface of hypothesis testing. We'll graze it enough to see what that is but we will stay primarily with descriptive measures. People tend to find those much less intimidating and more intuitively acceptable.

    ReplyDelete