Thursday, May 21, 2009

520 Week 1 (a week late)

The past two weeks have been absolutely crazy. Tomorrow is our last day of school so the past two weeks have been filled with busy school days and evenings of athletic banquets, promotional ceremonies, choir concerts, etc. In between these two busy weeks I spent the weekend volunteering for the Special Olympics in Nashville, TN. My husband is an optometry student so he and other classmates did eye exams for the athletes. It was a great experience. I have spent yesterday and today trying to get caught up.

I am really excited about this class because I think that the internet is absolutely full of learning resources. The important thing for teachers and educators is to find the best websites and tools for our students and use them in a meaningful way in class. I have quite a few websites I have saved over my two years of teaching but I spent countless hours trying to find and organize the different resources I discovered. Anytime I look for a new resource I am amazed by how many other "tools" and websites I am sidetracked by while I search.

I also find that sometimes I get so excited about different internet resources I find, that I want to show my students and share the links with them right away. However, I think that internet safety is extremely important. I hope to learn some tips for how to keep students on track with the internet resources from class. I am very careful to inform my students' parents about internet based projects, but would like to learn more about how I can keep my students safe on the internet.

1 comment:

  1. Melissa,
    I can't imagine why you would get behind. It's great that you are so involved. Working with the new tools is exciting but finding time to implement their use is tough.

    ReplyDelete