Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week 2 of my journey...

I have found that almost every activity we have done in class so far has had a connection to my classroom. I am in the process of teaching my seventh grade students about Google Docs as they are doing a Powerpoint presentation on family in Spanish. The students are so excited about this project because they love to show pictures of their family and they are especially excited to do a project using technology. I am considering creating another blog that my students can follow along with, I still have to narrow down exactly what I will discuss or comment on in this blog. I would like to use Google Docs with my eighth grade students to send messages to one another in Spanish or use Google chat to have a weekly conversation time in Spanish. The trick for my students is making it accessible for them as I have some students who do not have access to a computer let alone their own house. Our district is facing a huge problem as a number of our students are becoming homeless due to their parents' financial situations.

I presented the idea of social bookmarking to the World Language Coordinator of our district and she is extremely excited about the idea. I am going to be working with her and other teachers to find and bookmark several sites that we think would be helpful for beginning world language teachers. I think that this is a great idea because it saves printing money and we can easily make this accessible to all new teachers and share this with other content areas. I would also like to social bookmark practice websites for my students.

I find myself really looking forward to each class because I love the fact that I am learning something new that I can use in my classroom each week.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are making connections! Lets hope this keeps happening throughout the program - and when no new ideas come forth, perhaps enhancing existing ways to instruct.

    ReplyDelete