Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hoping for a smoother week...

I am sitting here, utterly exhausted. I feel like I have spent the last 28 hours on the computer working on various things for class and school. Although I have already blogged about what I learned this week in class, I had the urge to blog the happenings of last week, with hopes of a better week to start tomorrow.

My week started out with high hopes because I had ordered new DSL Internet service from AT&T that does not require a phone line the week before, and my equipment was due to arrive Tuesday with service starting the same day. After returning home from an absolutely crazy inaugaration day at school I was pleased to see that my equipment had arrived. I had hopes of getting everything set up with time to spare before class began. When I opened the package I was disappointed to see that I had to wait until 6:00pm to set it up because that's when the service would be started. At 6:05 I set everything up and the internet did not work. After spending an hour on the phone with AT&T they realized that they were supposed to send someone to my house to synch the phone line. Fortunately, I was able to go to my neighborhood coffee shop to get a strong enough internet signal for class.

AT&T was able to send out a worker the next day to synch the phone line, luckily my husband had the morning off and was able to stay home so they could set us up. Wednesday after school I had a two hour meeting to create a plan of attack for creating a new thematic based curriculum. Our district got a new superintendent last summer and even though we just finished writing our new world language curriculum, we now have to redo it by this May. After that meeting I was able to come home just long enough to see that the internet connection was working. After that I had to head back to the Board of Education to attend a 3 hour meeting for coaches and umpires for softball. I was completely brain dead by the time I returned home at 9pm.

On Thursday I actually had time to start working on classwork but I spent the majority of the night writing out lesson plans and filling out the forms necessary for my evalutations this year. I spent six hours of my Saturday at a First Aid/CPR class I was required to take for softball and then had a few hours to work. Although last week was packed full, I think that this week will be much smoother now that I have fully functioning internet, and as of today I only have one meeting.

2 comments:

  1. I can sympathize with your "service" issues. My wife and I at some point became so frustrated with our cable company and their "service" calls to fix/install cable that we finally pulled the plug and have been living off the free HD broadcasts in the Madison area. There is some satisfaction in sticking it to them and being able to make that cancellation call. That is of course until my favorite team is on cable and I have to head out into the cold. I hope you enjoy your newly installed freedom.

    On another note, we also watched the inauguration at school and I really enjoyed it. With 7th graders it was hard to tell how much they took from it, but I know it will be meaningful to them in the future. Some of them really struggled with the change in attitude that Obama presented although they understood it was necessary to help contain expectations during this time for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had many issues with Charter my provider in the past (I hope never again). So I think you will be pleased with DSL and high speed. There are an amazing number of things you can do with high speed - and I hope you find the time saved from waiting worth the money spent to upgrade.

    Good luck with all the technology as we plow ahead.

    ReplyDelete