Friday, June 11, 2010

565 Week 4

Overall this week I have been learning more about how and why change is so hard, especially when it comes to schools and communities. I found the simulation this week to be very interesting. I am a bit of a competitive person, okay, I'm very competitive. I immediately wanted to know how to win the game and I felt under the time crunch the entire time. I think these factors contributed to my group and making some quick decisions instead of taking the time to talk through things as a complete team. I think that outside of the simulation, real communities and schools face the same issues my team ran into. People tend to rush through important decisions, we all feel the time crunch, it's hard to agree on one idea with so many people involved, amongst other things. It was such a let down every time we received a card saying that we were not moving on, I can't imagine how things would feel in real life.

3 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    My group encountered the same frustration while playing the game. I think that we often were making decisions without fully understanding the nature of the choice. Many of our selection would have been better served for later in the game, but a cursory glance made them seem viable at the current stage in the game.
    You are right in that people tend to rush through important decisions. There are those who take whichever path offers the least resistance, which seems eerily similar to many of our students. Any change worth doing should never be rushed, yet decisions made in probably all school districts need to happen yesterday, if not sooner. Smart money would show that decisions that are researched and thoroughly developed would yield the best returns, but in our current culture, we will have to make the best of an imperfect system. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting Melissa and good comment Ryan. Interesting to consider how decision are made in our department or school based on the lack of dedicated research time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to agree with all of you. There is something to be said about being able to make quick decision well, but there are so many elements to consider when covering all the bases on that decision that it becomes impractical. Either way, leading change has become more than an idea person's challenge; it's become a collaborative process in my mind.

    ReplyDelete