Saturday, November 7, 2009

535 Week 4

This week I started developing a wiki site for my Honors Spanish class. I don't like the setup as much as the Ning but I am learning. I also reactivated my Twitter account and I have been following the tweets of several different world language leaders across the country and other random people I am interested in. Between Twitter and my RSS feed I have been able to really stay connected with the World Language scene, especially with the biggest conference of the year, ACTFL, coming up. ACTFL takes place in San Diego, California this year. This year I will be presenting at ACTFL with 2 other teachers from Florida and Kentucky with the support of CASLS from the University of Oregon. I am excited but also nervous. We have been collaborating for our presentation with Skype and Slideshare.net. It's still amazing to me that I am able to prepare for a presentation with people from different states so easily. I'm still struggling to figure out what to do my podcast on.... I can't wait to see how my students react to the class wiki site. I think it will be especially useful while I am out for 6-8 weeks next semester. I don't think I have officially announced my news to class, but my husband and I are expecting our first baby February 28th, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, I really like how you are using Twitter for professional purposes. I have only thought of using it for my own personal use, and I am not thrilled with it. But, I think that the ability to follow other teachers and technology instructors could be great! I hope that your students like using the wiki. My students struggled with it at first, because it was new and different. You mentioned that you were still thinking about your podcast. Do you think you could do a podcast or screen cast on the new features of your wiki?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa
    I agree with you when you talk about using Twitter to stay connected to changes in certain fields. There is so much information generated and twitter is a great way to stay on top of things. As for your podcast, I think you could do a higher level translation like one would hear on an audio tape. This would allow you to create a series of podcasts that you could use in future classes.

    ReplyDelete