Saturday, October 10, 2009

535 Week 1

This week I enjoyed learning more about different educational blogs and services like Wikis that I can use for my class. I have wanted to create a class blog or a class wiki and now I am looking forward to doing this for class. I will be out for about 6-8 weeks in March/April because I am expecting a baby :) and I think that a blog and wiki would be a great tool to stay connected to my students and classes. I would like to use a blog to reflect on classes and topics that I am covering in my Honors classes. I also see this as a place where I can offer links for extended reading topics for my students. I would like to use the Wiki to promote class discussion in the target language and load different resources for the students to either view or print.

3 comments:

  1. wow! congrats on the baby news! I also found the blogging topic most interesting. I am interested in adding it to my classes as well, but I plan on starting small with just the occasional post for one class. How did you plan on adding it into your curriculum? I have not really explored the wiki idea, but what you said makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on becoming a mom! I used a wiki in my seventh grade German class, so that my students could collaborate between sections on their culture projects. I don't know if it would work for you, but I could show you an example of a 7th grade wiki if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great news, Melissa! I think the Wiki would be an excellent way to stay in touch and conduct class from home. If your baby is anything like my 3, he/she will spend all afternoon asleep, so it will give you time to stay active on the Wiki when your students are actually in class. When I had my neck surgery, I conducted a lesson online with Google docs, and the students absolutely loved it. Lord knows, they paid much better attention than they would have otherwise. Do you have a way to go live with them? Is there a mobile lab they can use? It would be interesting to try that as well. Since our last class I have created a Ning for my 5th and 6th graders, and it has been wonderful. I use it to post questions not only about computers but also about things going on in their other classes. It's a great way to develop a scope and sequence.

    ReplyDelete